THE OLD INN
THE OLD INN
The Old Inn is situated in the unspoilt village of Hawkchurch, just four miles away from historic fishing town of Lyme Regis and it’s world famous Cobb harbour.
With clean coastlines and fresh countryside all around, the setting is perfect for your day out, weekend break, or holiday. The area is famous for its geology and fossil finds, and has been awarded World Heritage Site Status.
We have three large en-suite rooms leading off a secure courtyard with ample parking to the rear. Situated in the centre of this idyllic, peaceful village the bar overlooks the church with easy access to the sports field complete with tennis court.
Come and visit the Jurassic coast and stay at our little “Haven in Devon”.
Records can be uncertain for many old Devon inns. However, the history of The Old Inn is well recorded. We know, from the 1543 or 1547 reset stone, when it was first built. We also know that it was deliberately burned down, along with the parish poorhouse and three or four adjoining cottages, in the spring of 1806 and was rebuilt and has continued to be an Inn ever since.
It was originally built as the Church House. Nearly every parish possessed one. It provided for festivities, the brewing and dispensing of ale and accommodation for the rector’s manor tenants.